Taking a break is okay

Tesia Blackburn and Soxx the Wonder Dog
Me and my best pal, Soxx the Wonder Dog
THIS POST WAS ORIGINALLY WRITTEN ON November 23, 2015 and never posted. I could not bring myself to make it public. But time has passed and I can read it now without tears. 

If you follow me on social media, you will know that about seven or eight weeks ago my beloved dog, Soxx, died.  After 15 years of fuzzy warm companionship, there is a huge, gaping void.  Where once there was a wet nose and furry ears, there is emptiness.

I can't paint. I don't even want to go to the studio.

It's true, Soxx wasn't with me much the last year at the studio because he couldn't get up the stairs.  But his water dish and bed are still at the studio. His furry little puff balls of hair are still peeking out from under the tables now and then.

Every time I get in the car, I inadvertently look for him laying on his big dog bed, waiting for me to start the car so we can go on another adventure.

I can't bear to take his traveling dog bed out of my car.
It's okay for me to take a break from the studio.  No matter what the muse is asking me to do, no matter what I am "supposed" to do as an artist.  I'm taking a break. I'm mourning the loss of my dear friend and companion.

I'm writing this post as much to myself as to you.  Allow yourself the time you need, when you need it.

Maybe there's a new baby in the family and you want to go for a visit - every day for a week. Go ahead!

Or perhaps you want to catch up on your reading and spend the next week in a big comfy chair with a good book.  Fine by me!

My point here is that taking a break is okay. Get back to work when you're ready - but do get back to work eventually.

The flow of creativity has no beginning and no end.

I don't believe in artists' blocks.

I just believe in taking breaks to honor my friend.

No comments:

Featured Post

How to Extend Your Acrylic Paint with Gel - and save money!

Stretch Your Acrylic Paint with a Gel Extension and save money! Join me for a live hangout every week Wednesday at 4 pm PST on my YouTube...