Fiber Paste

From the email bag Cindy asks: "I put fiber paste on my canvas and let it dry. Then my attempts to paint over it with color were very difficult. So, am I supposed to mix fiber paste with paint and apply it ….OR is there a way to create a super liquidy paint using fluid acrylics and some medium. I tried tar gel and it didn’t spread any easier then regular paint with medium. Mind you I put the fiber paste on thick with peaks and valleys. I wanted that effect. But now I wonder how does one paint over that thickness??

Thanks for your question Cindy! Ideally, you would mix water with Golden Fluids and use that mixture to paint into the Fiber Paste. Fiber Paste is very absorbent when dry and makes an ideal surface to work on in a watercolor-like fashion. By mixing the Fluids with water you will get lovely staining and spreading of the color.

You can also mix the Fiber Paste with Fluid Paint to tint it before you put it down to dry. It will still retain its absorbent nature as long as you don't put too much Fluid Paint into it.

So, in essence you are painting on a surface very like watercolor paper, but with texture. Cool, eh??

Hope that helps! For more information on Fiber Paste visit this page on Golden's website http://www.goldenpaints.com/products/medsadds/molding/molding.php

4 comments:

Emen Mali said...

Tesia,

I read it is best to use to Golden's Fluid Medium instead of water with their Fluid Acrylics, which is best?

Unknown said...

Hi Emen
Yes it's best to use Fluid polymer medium if you are working on a non-absorbent surface such as canvas. On an absorbent surface, like Fiber Paste, you can mix the Fluids with water.

Anonymous said...

Will fiber paste adhere to a clay flower pot? Or will I need to create pieces of fiber paste then glue it to the clay pot?

Anonymous said...

Will fiber paste adhere to a clay flower pot or do you need some type of adhesive?

Featured Post

How to Extend Your Acrylic Paint with Gel - and save money!

Stretch Your Acrylic Paint with a Gel Extension and save money! Join me for a live hangout every week Wednesday at 4 pm PST on my YouTube...